If you ask most people what their favorite season is, you are likely going to hear “fall!” Especially in the south, we are ready for cool temps after long, hot summers. However, the weather change also comes the cough, flu, colds and fevers. Don’t wait for your family to get sick! Now is the time to boost your immune system.
Here are Dr. Taz’s tips for revving up your immune system to fight off colds and flu:
- Lower sugar intake. Sugar is a known immune suppressor. As the holiday season gets closer and closer: create a sugar “budget” in your diet. Be intentional about how much sugar your are consuming. From Halloween candy to Thanksgiving day desserts to Hanukkah and Christmas treats to alcohol intake at New Year’s, if you’re not mindful, your sugar intake could skyrocket in the next few months!
- Boost your vitamin D levels. Colder weather means less sun exposure, so consider adding in a supplement of vitamin D. Studies have shown that vitamin D plays a vital role in our immunity and ability to fight off germs and viruses.
- Take 1 dropper of Astragalus every day. Astragalus Root is an adaptogen, which means it works with your system to help return you to homeostasis and protect the body from stressors. With antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, Astragalus root preps your immune system to stave off common colds and germs.
- Take probiotics daily. We are learning more and more about how the state of our gut impacts our overall health. Building up and supporting your gut’s microbiome is important in helping our bodies immunity response.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Though we all know this, it never hurts to remind ourselves! Washing hands is the first line of defense in keeping germs away.
And if I could add one more: Sleep consistently! Studies have shown that lack of quality and consistent sleep makes us more susceptible to illness and recovery is harder for our bodies when we do catch a cold. Aim to go to bed and wake up at the same times daily