Adding foods for breast health to your diet for breast cancer prevention is vital, especially if it runs in your family. Research shows that breast cancer cells can actually shrink or dissolve by eating a healthy diet rich in certain nutrients (1).
Find out which foods you should be eating to prevent breast cancer risk from the integrative doctors at CentreSpringMD.
Foods that Fight Breast Cancer: Fruits and Veggies
- Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables
|Leafy Green||Cruciferous Veggies|
· Collard greens
· Mustard greens
· Dandelion greens
· Collard Greens
· Brussel Sprouts
- Leafy greens contain a range of carotenoids (antioxidants) such as beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, all of which aid in a reduced risk of cancer growth and eye disease (2).
- Folate is also found in leafy greens, to protect against breast cancer (3).
- Women who consumed higher levels of carotenoids compared to women who didn’t, showed a lower risk of breast cancer (4).
- Breast cancer survivors who ate high levels of carotenoids also had a reduced risk of reoccurring cancer (5).
- Cruciferous veggies are loaded with vitamin A, C, E, K, and folate. Plus, they have high levels of the phytochemicals, indoles and sulforaphane. These antioxidants reduce toxins to fight cancer and keep it from returning (6).
- Heat, such as boiling, dissipates sulforaphane.
- Allium vegetables
- Onion, especially red onion
- Allium veggies contain vitamin C, flavonoids (antioxidants), and organosulfur compounds, all which have shown to be strong anticancer elements (7).
- Citrus fruits, berries, plums, peaches, apples, and pears
If you didn’t get the hint by now, antioxidants are a strong force to fight off cancer. Fruits are packed with them, but stick to particular ones.
- Blueberries, plums, and peaches all have high polyphenol (antioxidant) levels that can kill breast cancer cells (8).
- Polyphenols in peaches specifically were the focus of multiple cancer studies (9).
- One study narrowed down fibrous fruit such as apple and pear as anti-cancerous due to their high fiber (10).
- Raspberries are also high in fiber.
Does a nice fruit salad of berries, plums, peaches, apples, and pears sound refreshing with some lemon juice squeezed on top?
More Foods for Breast Health
- Oily/fatty fish
Next to antioxidants, Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the best things in your diet.
- Fatty fish also contains antioxidants such as canthaxanthin, an anti-cancer agent (11).
- Fermented foods
- Yogurt and kefir
- Miso soup
- Kombucha (fermented black or green tea)
Probiotics are healthy bacteria and an anti-cancer force due to their ability to strengthen the immune system (12).
- Legumes (plant-based proteins)
Legumes are especially high in fiber, which has been proven to reduce the risk of breast cancer (13).
- The most active compound in turmeric is a polyphenol (antioxidant) called curcumin, which can reduce breast cancer cells (14).
- Start adding a tablespoon of turmeric to everything: smoothies, soups, rice, pasta, eggs, milk, and whole grains. It has a strong flavor, so start small and progress.
- Flax seed
- Just like oily fish, flax seeds are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids and lignan (fiber), which are great for the heart and brain.
- The fiber lignan is also rich in phytoestrogen (an antioxidant), and of course, is an anti-breast cancer agent (15).
- It is very important to grind up the whole flax seeds fresh before you eat them, as pre-ground flax can lose all of the essential fatty oils.
- Omega-3 fatty acids to the rescue again! Additionally, and I’m sure this will come as no surprise, walnuts are full of phytosterols (antioxidants).
- The combination of Omega-3s and phytosterols make walnuts a powerhouse anti-breast cancer food (16).
- Parsley is high in apigenin, which has anti-cancer properties and can also be found in citrus fruits (17).
- Technically, it is a leafy green. Sprinkle some chopped parsley to as many recipes as you can: eggs, meat, potatoes, pasta, soups, salads, and more.
Breast Cancer Prevention Diet
It’s clear that fatty acids and antioxidants both have strong anti-inflammatory properties and are common in foods for breast health. Luckily, the list of foods above can fight many cancers, including breast cancer. It should come as no surprise that fried foods and other processed meals devoid of nutrients, are an open door of increased risk to cancers. Therefore, foods for breast health will always be whole foods.
Lower your risk of developing breast cancer by more than the foods you eat. Be aware of your body and what lifestyle changes and habits you need to change. Daily exercise and staying at a healthy weight are crucial.
Are you in need of help and support regarding breast cancer, or are interested in natural breast cancer treatment? Make an in-person appointment or request a virtual consult with an integrative physician at CentreSpringMD. We are the link you need to give you a safe and supportive breast health journey. Contact us now for nutritional counseling, hormone therapy, and more.
Categories: Holistic Health