What exactly is a detox?
Detoxification is actually a process that is constantly occurring in our bodies to protect and rid our bodies from toxins, which can lead to disease. We detox using the liver, lungs, skin, kidney, and colon. People partake in detoxes, as an alternative approach to cleanse the body of toxins that normal detoxification does not get rid of to prevent toxin overload.
What types of detox are there?
1. Buy a commercialized detox for 7-28 days that incorporates a specific diet, supplement, and/or shake. We normally recommend the Ortho Molecular 7-day or 14-day Core Restore for a quick liver detox to balance gut, hormones, and help you lose a few pounds. During this detox, we recommend you avoid inflammatory foods such as gluten, dairy, and sugar. The kit includes a shake that includes protein and fiber. In addition, it includes a supplement that includes multiple vitamins, minerals, and herbs that support detoxification in the body. You can purchase this detox here.
Another popular detox kit includes the Metagenics UltraClear 10-day or 28-day detox programs.
2. Partaking in regular activities such as infrared saunas, colonics, lymphatic or regular massage, and acupuncture. These are complementary and alternative methods that have been around for centuries to help detoxification. I would recommend multiple treatments to enhance normal detoxification in the body. A weekly session sitting in an infrared sauna allows for toxins to leave the body through the skin by promoting perspiring. Colonics stimulate the release of built up toxins in the gut. Lymphatic massage aids in the drainage of toxins that build up in the lymphatic system/immune system. A regular massage can also do this by hitting certain acupressure points. Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that heals disease and helps detox through the use of cupping or needle to support proper qi (chi) flow.
There is no wrong way to detox if you follow any of the above recommendations. In general, participating in a quarterly detox is great to help you reset, but it is also important to support detoxification on a daily basis. Remember that lifestyle habits affect your ability to detox. Avoid adding more fuel to the fire by following these holistic tips to keep toxins low:
- Avoid pesticides by buying organic products from the Dirty Dozen (apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, grapes, nectarines, peaches, kale/collard greens, raspberries, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers), as well as organic dairy.
- Wash your fruits and veggies very well. I soak mine in hot water with a capful of white vinegar for 5 minutes.
- Eat plenty of green veggies to help you detox, like cilantro, parsley, and especially cruciferous veggies.
- Exercise and stretch to keep the qi (chi) flowing.
- Don’t forget to breathe throughout the day!
|Rosi Patel is a certified Family Nurse Practitioner who joined CentreSpring MD in early 2017 and is excited to be part of a group of like-minded professionals. Prior to joining the CentreSpring family, she spent 8 years as an emergency room nurse and other various acute and ambulatory settings.|
Email email@example.com to schedule a visit with Rosi Patel.