The use of pink salt crystals has increased in popularity. People all over the world are reaping the mental and physical health benefits of a Himalayan salt lamp.
Khewra salt is unrefined and is known as the purest type of salt found on Earth from the Himalayan caves in Pakistan (1) . The use of this type of salt dates back to the ancient Roman times when salt was viewed as a precious commodity. It is high in sodium chloride and it has multiple other vital trace minerals such as copper, iron, and zinc (2). Trace elements boron, calcium, chlorine, lithium, magnesium, nitrate, oxygen, potassium, strontium (similar to calcium), and sulfur give it a distinct pink color (2).
Other than eating pink salt, you can use Himalayan salt in the form of bath salts and lamps. While using a lamp made out of Himalayan salt cannot give the exact same benefits as eating the salt, it can provide other holistic health benefits.
Benefits of a Himalayan Salt Lamp
- Air purification: Going back to science class, the interaction of heat from the lamp with the salt creates a positive electrical charge in the surrounding air. It is speculated that this reaction neutralizes the toxins in the air by releasing negative ions and oxygen. Although, this supposed health benefit is backed up by little evidence (3).
- Help with respiratory issues: The process of air purification through anti-microbial protection can improve asthma and allergy complaints by reducing allergens, mucous production and inflammation (4).
- Improved mood: In addition to improving air quality, the increase in negative ions can boost energy levels and serotonin – the happy hormone (3). It is a great treatment for seasonal affective disorder, which is a dip in mood during the winter months.
- Sleep aid: The dimness of the light (while turning off regular lights) also creates a calming ambiance, reduces cortisol, and allows for normal melatonin production. This may help set you up for a more restful sleep at night.
- Fights cancer: True Himalayan salt has been found to have anti-tumor properties (5).
When buying a Himalayan pink salt lamp look for the following:
- It should be made in Khewra, Pakistan.
- It should give off a dim pinkish or light orange color when plugged in.
- A good return policy, so keep the receipt!
If you don’t notice a difference in any of the previously mentioned potential benefits, return it because it may not be the real source.
Pink salt lamps are just one of the many ways you can naturally boost your physical and mental wellness. CentreSpringMD is Atlanta’s premier medical center for holistic wellness and integrative, functional medicine.
We have a plethora of traditional and holistic treatments, therapies, and supplements to improve your health naturally.
- Facials and massage therapy
- IV vitamin drips
- Health coaching and nutritional counseling
- Hormone therapy
- Shop our store for sleep supplements, beauty products, and more
- Browse through the CentreSpringMD medical blog portal on a wide range of health topics