PANDAS: What is it and how does it affect your child?
PANDAS stands for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections.
And this increasingly common syndrome can turn otherwise healthy kids into moody, fidgety shadows of their former selves, practically overnight.
The most current theories suggest that infection, environment, or other factors trigger a misdirected response of the immune system that creates inflammation in the brain.
Suddenly, a child who was happy and healthy last week now gets upset over tiny things, displays obsessive compulsive behavior, struggles at school, and has trouble sleeping.
To learn more about PANDAS and available treatment strategies, watch this video from Dr. Taz:
What are the signs and symptoms that your child might have PANDAS?
- ADHD symptoms (hyperactivity, inattention, fidgety)
- Separation anxiety (child is “clingy” and has difficulty separating from his/her caregivers; for example, the child may not want to be in a different room in the house from his or her parents)
- Mood changes, such as irritability, sadness, emotional lability (tendency to laugh or cry unexpectedly at what might seem the wrong moment), anger and aggression
- Trouble sleeping, night-time bed-wetting, day-time frequent urination or both
- Changes in motor skills (changes in handwriting, reading or math)
- Joint pains
- OCD and/or TICS
At CentreSpringMD, we are always looking beneath the surface. We are equipped with the latest in diagnostics and treatment from a holistic and functional medicine standpoint to meet complex pediatric cases. Please call us at 404-814-9808 if you have questions about your child and PANDAS.